About the Role
· Takes hand-off from assigning editor (Managing Editor or Senior Editor) and manages afternoon and overnight news desk.
· Keeps tabs of wires and media outlets for late-breaking news.
· Writes and reports stories as needed for evening or next-day's ME newscasts
· Oversees content for the afternoon and evening team (ATC Host and PM Producer), including scheduling stories for newscasts, setting reporter deadlines and coordinating with producers and anchors on story selection and newscast lineup.
· Adjusts assignments and makes new assignments when necessary to reflect changes in news planning and news developments during the daily news cycle and to assure there is adequate material for AM newscasts.
· Alerts relevant departments of changes to newscast schedules as requested by Managing Editor. This includes but is not limited to Program Director, Operations, and Marketing.
· Edits daily scripts and audio for Morning Edition and All Things Considered, as well as other programs and departments as requested.
· Edits text for the web as requested.
Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA) is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, PBA is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WPBA-TV30 (ATL-PBA) and numerous podcasts and digital offerings. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and opportunities, please visit
About the Company
WABE's PM News Editor is responsible for the afternoon and overnight production of radio content and selected online content as needed. This includes getting the afternoon newscasts on the air, editing stories, leaving completed news items for the AM newscasts, overseeing the overnight rundown completed by the PM Producer and communicating instructions for work in progress and possible next-day assignments for the morning crew.
The Editor works under the supervision of the Managing Editor and in collaboration with the Senior Editor to manage the day-to-day coverage of news. The Editor has responsibility and understanding of news planning, reporting, editing, and production. The Editor helps maintain ethical, editorial, and stylistic standards established by the Managing Editor and WABE's award-winning, ambitious newsroom.